Recently someone asked what I feed the kids so I thought I would do a post about it so I can remember...
For breakfast we give them fruit, oatmeal, yogurt, cheese, a hard boiled egg, banana, bagel with cream cheese, toast with jelly, cherrios. I have tried french toast and pancakes and they are just not that into it yet.
For lunch they usually have a bean and cheese burrito, egg salad sandwiches, peanut butter and jelly, quesadilla, or leftovers from the night before. Sometimes I will make them chicken noodle soup or beef raviolis. For so long I have been worried about them getting enough iron. Most times I will put the chicken or beans on their tray first and wait till they eat it until I put the other stuff. I refrain from giving them processed lunch meats and hot dogs as often as possible. Everything in moderation though and if we are at a party and they are serving hot dogs well, then thats what they eat! :)
For snacks we do the graduates oatmeal bars, ritz crackers, graham crackers, cheese, yogurt, puffs, popcorn, vanilla wafers, FRUIT, hummus for dip, cookies, etc.
For drinks, other than milk, I mostly give apple juice with added water, plain water, and sometimes I make them hot chocolate if its cold outside. When we are on the run I give capri-suns which they love bec it is has a straw!
For dinners they eat what we eat. I refuse to make different meals. They love pasta so we do spaghetti, lasagne, and fettichine alfredo, enchiladas, chicken & rice casserole, cheeseburgers, they LOVE macaroni & cheese... we do lots of chicken and green beans - their fav! We just recently switched from regular hamburger meat to turkey burger. They love plain ole pinto beans too so once a week I make a pot of those for them to eat all week for iron/protein. I try to feed them relatively healthy and at home vs eating mcdonalds! I also serve them brown rice, wheat tortillas, and wheat bread. I buy the mickey mouse chicken nuggets from costco - they are supposed to be healthier. I give them ranch or ketchup to dip them in. they love to dip stuff. Keeping in mind I still cut things up to make everything kid friendly. I often ask friends what they feed their kids bec I run out of ideas but I try to be creative and have them try new things all the time to learn their likes and dislikes. Its hard when they dont like something but I have heard it takes a few times for things to adjust with their pallate. If anyone has any ideas please shoot them my way! I do realize how lucky I am to be able to be home with them and take the time to make homemade foods and really be in control of what they are eating and I do know that once they are in school that will prob change but for now I am trying to make sure my babies get the best nutrition possible. :)
If they had their way, they would eat cheese, green beans, cookies, chocolate, and strawberries all day long!
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








1 comment:
Just read this and thought it was so cool. Ideas........kidney and garbonzo beans mixed, cucumber and italian dressing, edamame, everything bagel with spinach and turkey (to go lunch), strawberry's dipped in yogurt, turkey and cheese with a pretzel stick holding it together, mandarin oranges..Ive gotten really good at this with this daycare kids ;)
Post a Comment